On Friday at least thirty-five people were killed and many wounded when Indonesia’s Mount Merapi volcano erupted again.
A spokesman for Sarjito general hospital in Yogyakarta said, “The death toll has risen to 35”.
According to accounts of the destruction from emergency response officials, among the dead were many children from Argomulyo village, which is 18 kilometres from the crater of the volcano.
Government volcanologists said that Friday’s blasts were the biggest yet.
Volcanologist Surono said, “This is the biggest eruption so far. The heatclouds went down the slopes as far as 13 kilometres and the explosion was heard as far as 20 kilometres away”.
Some 100,000 people are already living in temporary shelters.